Sunday, November 18, 2012

nutcrackers & sleeping beauties

Whilst listening to a playlist on 8tracks today the Nutcracker Suite played... and I got so nostalgic I dug up my full length The Nutcracker CD from my luggage. Now that I'm listening to it I've been taken back to a time so, so, so many years ago, I know this whole ballet by heart.

I danced all throughout elementary school in the Pacific Northwest Ballet School, the ballet school associated with the company Pacific Northwest Ballet. What was wonderful about going to this school was that we trained right beside professionals, and danced alongside them in professional shows as well. I danced in The Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty and A Midsummer's Night Dream. Having been cast in The Nutcracker three times, it holds the most sentimental value for me. I regret not continuing ballet after moving to Singapore at the end of elementary school, but to this day there are still remnants of it in my life. I still love ballets, have an appreciation for classical music and am still more flexible than your average person, haha :) I don't think there is any other part of my childhood that I am more attached to, or brings back more happy memories


Listening to the ballet scores as I am now, I guess I am lucky, that I have a way to transport myself to a point in time when all was simple and sweet, as nostalgic as it maybe.

The auditions, and looking for your name on the final cast list, smells of hairspray and makeup, playing cards backstage, receiving little gifts from other dancers around Christmas time, signed pointe shoes from prima ballerinas and the nerves while waiting in the wings.

I found this picture of me when I was in Sleeping Beauty in archives on my computer. I remember being so in love with my yellow dress, and we had flowered garlands and hoops to dance with as well. It really was a little girl's dream come true. 




No comments:

Post a Comment